T. McClure professor of Greek and Latin, and professor of
History at Allegheny
Research and publications
- Books in preparation: Attic Orators, three volumes for
the Loeb Classical Library series, to include text,
translation and annotation of the surviving works of Antiphon,
Andocides, Demades, Dinarchus, Lycurgus and Hyperides.
- Chapter (2023):
"Originality and tradition in Hyperides's Funeral Oration" in D. Pritchard (ed.), The Athenian funeral oration: after Nicole Loraux.
- Chapter (2020): "Seeing others as Athenians in Demosthenes' third
Philippic" in J. Filonik, B. Griffith-Williams, J. Kucharski
(eds.), The Making of Identities in Athenian Oratory.
- Book (2019): Demosthenes. Selected Public Speeches, published by Cambridge University Press (Googlebooks link); reviewed
in BMCR, CR, JHS.
- Article (2019): "Hyperides" in the digital edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary.
- Essay (2017): "Listening to the first Philippic (Demosthenes
4.5-9)" in K. C. Coleman (ed.), Albert's anthology, 83-4.
- Journal article (2010): "Hyperides' Against Diondas and the rhetoric of revolt".
- Book (2009): Hyperides. Funeral Oration, published by
Oxford University Press
(Googlebooks link); reviewed
Greece and Rome, JHS.
- Journal article (2008): "The
authenticity of the Demosthenic Funeral Oration".
- Journal article (co-author,
2008): "Fragments of
Hyperides' Against Diondas from the Archimedes
Palimpsest". This is the editio princeps of
Hyperides' Against Diondas.
- I prepared (2008) the
archival TEI-XML online text
new Hyperides in the Archimedes palimpsest. I wrote a
short essay (2006) on that work in progress and was the
press coverage (2006). My role in the project is best
the big books (2011). Multi-spectral jpegs (change file suffix to
"tif" for the high-res files) of the Palimpsest pages of
Diondas: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (I prepared the initital transcriptions of pages 5 and 6 as part of my contribution to the 2008 co-authored publication).
- Book (2004): Athenian Funeral Orations, published by Focus, now distributed by Hackett.
- Book reviews:
Der 'Neue Hypereides' (2014);
Demosthenes. On the Crown (2003);
Interpreting a Classic (2003);
Greek Oratory (2000).
Classical Studies at Allegheny College
Class session at Magdalen
This simple page design
is viewable with
any browser. (I recommend lynx!)