T. McClure professor of Greek and Latin and chair of
Department at Allegheny
Research and publications
- Paper (2019): "Repetition among the Attic orators,"
for Orality and Literacy in the Ancient World XIII: script and handout.
- Book in production (2019): Demosthenes. Selected Public Speeches,
to appear in
the Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics series, including
the three Olynthiacs and Philippics 1 and 3.
- Article (2019): "Hyperides" in the digital edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary.
- Paper (2018): "The timeliness of Hyperides' Funeral
conference in Strasbourg, as preparation for a
chapter in an edited volume (to appear in 2021),
The Athenian funeral oration: 40 years after Nicole Loraux.
- Books in preparation (contract issued in 2013): Attic
Orators, three volumes for
the Loeb Classical Library series, to include text,
translation and annotation of the surviving works of Antiphon,
Andocides, Demades, Dinarchus, Lycurgus and Hyperides.
- Short reflection (2017): "Listening to the first Philippic (Demosthenes
4.5-9)" in K. C. Coleman (ed.), Albert's anthology, 83-4.
- Article (2010): "Hyperides' Against Diondas and the rhetoric of revolt".
- Book (2009): Hyperides. Funeral Oration, published by
Oxford University Press
(Googlebooks link); reviewed
Greece and Rome, and JHS.
- Article (2008): "The
authenticity of the Demosthenic Funeral Oration".
- Article (co-author,
2008): "Fragments of
Hyperides' Against Diondas from the Archimedes
Palimpsest". This is the editio princeps of
Hyperides' Against Diondas.
- I prepared (2008) the
archival TEI-XML online text
new Hyperides in the Archimedes palimpsest. I wrote a
short essay (2006) on that work in progress and was the
press coverage (2006). My role in the project is best
the big books (2011). Multi-spectral jpegs (change file suffix to
"tif" for the high-res files) of the Palimpsest pages of
Diondas: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (I prepared the initital transcriptions of pages 5 and 6 as part of my contribution to the 2008 co-authored publication).
- Book (2004): Athenian Funeral Orations, published by Focus, now distributed by Hackett.
Der 'Neue Hypereides' (2014);
Demosthenes. On the Crown (2003);
Interpreting a Classic (2003);
Greek Oratory (2000).
Recent Allegheny teaching (Spring 2018 office hours: TTh
10:45-12:15, W 9:00-12:00 in Arter 202A)
- Allegheny Classics page
- Freshman seminars
- Junior seminars and advanced courses
- History surveys
- Latin language courses
... discovered beneath a truck
This plain page design
is viewable with
any browser. (I recommend lynx!)